No, Strata Design 3D CX is a stand-alone all-purpose 3D application. You don't need any version of Adobe® Photoshop® to use it. You can use all of the modeling, animation, texturing and rendering features in Design 3D without Photoshop.
Some features in Design 3D work with any version of Photoshop. These take advantage of 2D Photoshop files:
- Link to Layered Photoshop Document in the Image Texture dialog allows you to use a linked PS file as an image map. Changes made in the PS file are automatically used in the Design 3D texture.
- Render to (Photoshop) Layers - this outputs your rendering in PS layers for easy post-production work.
- Image maps created in any version of Photoshop and saved (as TIFF, JPEG, PSD, etc.) can be loaded into the texture channels as image maps for creating textures.
- Import Illustrator (.ai) PDF compatible or EPS v8 file for use with several modeling tools, like Extrude, Lathe, PathExtrude, Skin and etc.
- Photoshop CS6 Extended allows you to import 3D objects in a wide range of formats including OBJ, Collada DAE, etc. Design 3D CX supports importing and exporting to OBJ, Collada and other 3D formats.
Photoshop Plug-ins - Discontinued in v7.5
Design 3D CX 7 shipped with several optional Photoshop plug-ins. These plug-ins have been discontinued in version 7.5.